The key to successful garden design is determining what you want to get out of your design and addressing the things that will constrain you.
- Determine the conditions in your garden site by doing site analysis.
- Compile a list of your site constraints.
- Sit down and think about your wants and other constraints.
- Look at the existing conditions and determine what stays and what goes.
- Make a sketch of your design or consider making a scale drawing using 1/8” scale or 1/4” scale
- Calculate the number of plants you need by making a scale drawing or using stakes to rough out your design.